Thursday, March 20, 2014

Taiping: "Hor Ka Sai" (虎咬狮)

Have you heard of a drink called "Hor Ka Sai"? I was shocked when my friend asked me to help her order this drink, about 6 years ago. 

I was like "Repeat repeat. What drink you want? "Hor Ka Zai" (which means "Luckily" in Hokkien)? Don't try to make fun of me. What drink you want?" 

My friend corrected the term to "Hor Ka Sai" and persuaded me that the uncle in coffee shop will know what it is.

To be honest, I went to the coffee shop in Hawker Center and prepared to get some scolding from people. What kind of funny drink that I'm ordering, I wondered. But it surprised me that the uncle understands me and proceeded with the order without hesitation. And then, I learnt about this "new" and special drink in Taiping. 


It is actually something like Neslo, where "Hor Ka Sai" (虎咬狮) is a mix of Milo and Kopi'O (local coffee). Apparently, it is a common drink in Taiping and you can try in at most food court -- for example, Taiping Hawker Center and Larut Matang Hawker Center. 

I studied a bit about this drink from somewhere (which I couldn't recall. Sorry). The translation of "Hor Ka Sai" (Hokkien) to English is "Tiger bites Lion". According to people, miners, in the olden days, feel very energetic after drinking "Hor Ka Sai" and are able to continue with their work. So they described the feeling as if they are as strong as a tiger, being able to bite on a lion. I'm not sure if the story is true or not, but it makes a bit of sense since there's caffeine, coffee and also malt. 

This is how "Hor Ka Sai" looks like in a packet. Pretty similar to Nescafe'C or Kopi'C by just looking at it. But it is Milo with coffee indeed.

This, perhaps, could be a drink to attract tourist too! Milo is already something special for them, and the name of this "Hor Ka Sai" will certainly put a smile of their face. TRY it and PRONOUNCE it RIGHT. =D 

*Always proud to be a Taiping-lang*

4 comments:

  1. Maybe it means tiger And lion in hokkien. Also sound the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bought a bottle .nice nite night cap drink .taste like cuppocino.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful write out, I've never heard of this drink but I'm willing to try

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy. Will definitely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete