Thursday, March 20, 2014

Taiping: Hawker Center Roti Canai

Another breakfast choice in Taiping: Roti Canai. There's a few nice stalls in Taiping, but due to convenience, I always have mine in Hawker Center. 

Roti Canai is an Indian-influenced flatbread found in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. According to my friend who is studying in India, there isn't roti canai there, although they have naan, tosai, etc. In Malaysia, we have a variety of Roti Canai, which they mix with a lot of stuff, from fruits (banana, durian), to condensed milk (roti boom), to eggs (roti telur), to milo (roti milo), etc etc. You can find roti canai in all mamak stalls and it is a breakfast/supper choice in Malaysia.  

Usually they will serve roti canai with brown sugar, a chicken/mutton curry and dhal. For me, I like to eat it with dhal (which is always less spicy than curry), so I often request for dhal only to prevent wastage. =)

My breakfast combination! Teh Tarik and Roti Canai (Kosong/Plain). So Malaysian. XD

And this is Roti Tissue. It is paper-thin and served with condensed milk. 
It is a good choice if you want something less filling and crunchy. 

I think this would be something special for foreigners, not for Malaysian. Tell your foreigner friends and relative, try roti canai and have it the local way (hands! No utensils!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment