Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Must Try Food in Kota Kinabalu

After my graduation trip to Kota Kinabalu, I have a list of must-try food if I have a chance to visit again. 

1. Seafood. 
They have really CHEAP seafood and how can you miss it? Look at my previous post about Sea Food Restaurant. Another restaurant is also good, but slightly more expensive - Gayang Seafood Restaurant. 

2. Tuaran Mee
It is a "made in Sabah" delicacy, a traditional handmade egg noodle from Tuaran Town. It is a noodle that represents Sabah. As I've tried Kolo Mee in Sarawak, I'm expecting for something similar. But it surprised me a little as it is fried egg noodles, served with char siew (dried roasted pork). 

At first we wanted to try Tuaran Mee Restaurant but it closes on Wednesday (The day we went). The restaurant that we went is called Lok Kyun Restaurant (乐群酒家). Open Tuesday - Sunday. It's quite nice. Something different. =)

Here's the address of Lok Kyun: Shop No. 4, Block 8, Jalan Keogh, Tuaran.


Tuaran Mee (RM6+)

3. Pastas at Little Italy. 
I like the ambience, as described in my previous post. Plenty of photos in there. 

4. Roti Kahwin 
Coconut spread/kaya with butter is known as Roti Kahwin. I saw a few food blogs about this and tempted to try. They have toasted/steamed bread, which you can choose from. A great breakfast choice, indeed. The restaurant that we went was Fook Yuen Restaurant, which is about few minutes drive from the city, located at Damai Plaza. Their Teh-C is good too! Price is affordable. =)


5. Tamparuli Mee
Tamparuli mee is quite similar to Tuaran Mee, but because they are made in different town, so they are named differently. My local friend recommended Tamparuli Mee to me, saying that they are better than Tuaran Mee. After I tried, both are quite similar, but Tamparuli Mee has more eggs and slightly cheaper (RM4.50). 

The restaurant we went was Restaurant Wun Chiap (云集酒家), located next to a chinese school, SJK(C) Chung Hwa Tamparuli. I want to go back for this. =)



I think I have not tried every single thing in Kota Kinabalu and the list shall go on longer as time goes by. Till then. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment