Thursday, May 15, 2014

Taiwan: Day 2 Shilin Night Market 士林夜市

Night Market is a must-visit place in Taiwan. There are "tonnes" of night markets in Taiwan, some are small (for example, Ningxia Night Market 宁夏夜市), some are crazily huge (for example, Shilin Night Market (士林夜市) in Taipei and also Fengjia Night Market (逢甲夜市) in Taichung)! 

I'm not too excited about Shilin Night Market because my previous shopping here wasn't too productive. Got a backpack for myself in 2012 here. (*evil smile* my memory is still good!)

Didn't take too many photos at night market as we were busy exploring for food and clothes! Shopping time!!! But too bad, we managed to do some window shopping and fed ourselves with more food! (JM who did not eat with us, managed to grab some clothes!)

Tips: Due to time constraint during traveling, you can choose to explore for food or do your shopping. If you are hungry and you want to shop, go get yourself something nice/most recommended, then continue with your shopping =)

From Tamsui, we took MRT back to Jiantan Station. Shilin Night Market is about 3 minutes walk from the station. ASK for direction or LOOK for road sign at the MRT station. You won't be lost in Taiwan with all the kind people around. Believe me.


First stop! We found a stall that sells HUGE TAIWAN SAUSAGE 超大条台湾香肠 when we were walking towards the underground food court. It's really huge and we were tempted to try. If you don't remember, I just had a lot of food in Tamsui. Haha! We decided to buy a big one to share (among 5 of us), which cost us NTD100. We thought it will be one whole sausage for NTD100. Too naive. XD We were stunned when the boss gave us half of the huge sausage. Felt like being conned and we all looked a little disappointed.
The sausage stall. XD

And here we are! At the entrance of the Shilin Market! Ground floor is where people sell fruits, souvenirs and clothes. Food court is at underground, which you can take escalator or staircase down. 


Entrance!

Still, must take a typical tourist photo. Bad lighting. Tsk Tsk....


And here we are, at the food court. Heaps of food stalls and a wide variety of street food for you to choose. You will have problem choosing as some stalls are selling the same thing. Which stall is nicer?? You gotta do your research, mate. 

Friend queued for fried chicken and the rest of us went to walk around, to hunt more food.

Found a name that's interesting -- Small biscuit wrapped within Big biscuit (大饼包小饼). Sorry for the bad translation, but it is basically, 2 layers of biscuits. You can choose both salty biscuits or one salty one sweet.

The stall and my photoboom! He is the one who queued to buy food for us.
I forgive him for being my all time photoboom. XD

This is the Small biscuit (小饼) of different flavours. It looks quite huge to me though. XD

TA-DAA!!! My order: Chicken floss small biscuit (肉松小饼) wrapped by a layer of "big" biscuit.
I tell you how it taste: SUPER-DRY. And I finished it all by myself *claps claps*

After buying this biscuit, we also bought a Da-Chang-Bao-Xiao-Chang (大肠包小肠). I think we bought at the wrong stall, it does not taste nice and it screwed up its own image in my friends' heart. I tried better Da-Chang-Bao-Xiao-Chang so I kept telling them that there are better ones. Somewhere. 

Escaped from the attraction of food after we sapu (finished up) what we've bought. Some shopping time on our way back to meet JM. Friends bought some key chains as souvenirs along the way. 

Cleverly, I spot a Turkish ice cream stall. Then I asked my all-time-photoboom if he wants to try. My last turkish ice cream was in Macau,  a treat from Chloei's uncle. (I really think that my memory is awesome! XD) This time in Taiwan, I'm being conned! Or I should say, we were being conned! We ordered 2 cones and the boss played some tricks, usual turkish ice cream guy trick I thought. Then, he asked me to grab a cone. Being naive AGAIN, I grabbed that cone and he put the ice cream on it. He continued that trick on 2 other friends. So in total, including the friend who ordered, we had 4 ice creams on hand. WE ORDERED 2 AND WE WERE HOLDING 4 IN THE END!! *faint* We had to pay and leave. I'll upload our group photo with the conman when I get it from my friend. *angry but the trick was quite fun =P*

ONE MORE THING! The ice cream does not taste nice at all. I ate half and begged photoboom to finish it for me. @_@ And then, we met JM at the meeting point with our miserable faces. That ends our DAY 2!..............................................................................Hey wait!! of course we walked back to our hostel after the night market. Remember? We stayed near Jiantan MRT station. Convenient much. *hahaha!!*

No comments:

Post a Comment