Monday, May 18, 2015

Exotic food - is it a culture?

Why do people eat exotic food? 

Exotic food, in fact, refers to culinary items which are considered unusual for an individual's culture. (Reference from this website). So for us, Malaysians, don't be shocked that people from other countries think that Durian (our favourite fruit) is an exotic food. And seriously, a lot of people cannot stand the smell. Some Malaysians dislike it too. So well, if something is odd to you, it can be considered as exotic. So exotic food categorization is a very personal thing. You think it is, it can be one. 

Click here to read about the 10 most exotic food I found in a website. Which isn't exotic to you? 

It is very shocking for me to find out that people actually eat spider, crickets, water beetles, cats, dogs, etc etc... Because of my YOLO mindset, I did try some exotic food like worms, snake and crocodile meat. It was a terrifying experience and it should be ONLY ONCE kind of experience.

I think that it is one's culture or lifestyle to eat such kind of delicacies. Or thinking that those people who eat are very brave and maybe, special?! I do think that way until my tour guide asked me a question, "If our people has a choice, do you think we will eat these things? We eat to live during war." And I felt very guilty, with my previous naive thoughts about them. 

During war, they have no access to food. So they just grab anything to feed their stomach to continue their living. They eat to live. They have no other choice. They aren't brave to eat tarantulas. They are afraid that tarantulas are poisonous too. But they have no food but with some tarantulas around. What choice do they have? Nothing.  

I feel bad. And I respect them. They struggled so hard to live. We misunderstood them. I feel thankful that the war is over and it is time to build a world filled with love and happiness. May everyone in the world be well. Let's build a better world and not destroy it again. Cheers.






**Photos credit to myself and also friends -- H and S. Thanks!!

I want to strongly point out that I wrote this post is to share my experience during travel. I haven't explore enough countries to understand different cultures. I might sound naive and some points may be totally wrong. Please don't hesitate to share your thoughts and experience with me. Thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment