Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Hong Kong Cheung Chau (长洲) Day Trip

I have this precious opportunity to step into Cheung Chau (长洲) during my Hong Kong trip. A day trip to this island is totally worth the time as it is a very relaxing small town. To travel to Cheung Chau, we took ferry from Central Ferry Piers (中环码头), which took us about 45 minutes. We chosen First Class seats to explore how is it look like. First Class seat is about HKD6 more than economy class, but nothing to be fancy about unless you have a group of friends. They have long tables for people to either play card games, eat, or chit-chat. 

Why I want to explore Cheung Chau?? Hmm... One of the answer would be I love sea, relaxing places and good food. The other reason would be I am a TVB fans and Cheung Chau is the main shooting spot for the drama "Slow Boat Home" a.k.a. 情越海岸線 in Chinese. The drama introduced a festival in Cheung Chau which seems pretty interesting but it is held around May each year. The festival is called Cheung Chau Bun Festival 長洲太平清醮 and the drama showed how the people in Cheung Chau celebrate this festival. I would definitely be back one day if I have the chance to experience this special festival. 


The poster of the drama "Slow Boat Home". 

So back to my travel experience to Cheung Chau.


The view of Cheung Chau from the ferry. I was very excited to see the island. TVB drama comes to reality. hohohoho..... 

Walked out the ferry pier and I can see plenty of stalls by the road, selling souvenirs and also room rental services. (Exactly as shown in the drama XD) Also, there are plenty of stalls renting out bicycles for tourists. Of course, we are tourist and we rented bicycles to cycle around the island. Glad that bicycles exist because my feet was too pain during my visit to Cheung Chau due to my boots. (Tips to travel: NEVER WEAR NEW SHOES)

 The souvenir shops. The umbrellas are all the same! notice that? 


Bicycles for rent! We rented the bike for HKD10 per hour. Not too bad as it can save my life!

Cheung Chau is a fishing village and hence you can see fishing boats' "parking lot". Good thing about this fishing village is that it does not has the typical fishing village "fishy" smell. So don't have to worry about cycling here. You will get fresh air. =)

The shop lots around are very old/traditional. They are mostly food stalls, boutiques or gift shop. 

We wanted to visit the beach and with my poor sense of direction, we end up here! Read the words. We saw the building and quickly ran away. LOL

Finally here at Tung Wan Beach (东湾海滩). Saw a lot of kids playing sands building castles. Feel so old but I still have to take pictures. Love the sand but too bad it is winter and I have my boots on. I wanna jump into the sea!!! But look at my OOTD, how can I jump? @.@

Spent about 6 hours in Cheung Chau exploring the food and enjoy the breeze while cycling. Holiday is awesome! Blue sky, kind people, nice food, cold weather and awesome companion, what else I can ask for? 

If you are looking for a getaway during your Hong Kong Trip, do consider Cheung Chau. And please watch the drama to understand more about the culture. Food posts will be up soon as I don't want to ruin this relaxing post with food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment