Sunday, January 12, 2014

HK Wong Tai Sin 黄大仙

Went Wong Tai Sin (黄大仙) on the 3rd day of my HK trip. I always thought Wong Tai Sin is the name of the temple but I was wrong. It is the name of the place (district) and the temple is known as Wong Tai Sin Temple (黄大仙祠). The temple is just 5 minutes walk from Wong Tai Sin MTR station. I went there from Hong Hum (红磡), hence I took bus instead of MTR. But well, the walking distance to the temple isn't far from bus stop. HK is so convenient if you can walk like a HK ppl. =)

The main entrance to the temple. Me and a bunch of aunty uncle tourists. It looks really grand and I can't wait to go in to pray and get my fortune stick (kau qim)!! XD

Every tourist touches this statue from it's "butt" to head and back to it's "butt". Look wrong and sound wrong but as a tourist, I followed what they did. hahaha.... =) Follow the crowd and hope for the best!

Inside the temple, there are many statues and I find this very interesting. Everyone is allowed to get 9 incenses to do prayers in the temple. This statue is holding the candle for people to lit their incenses up. Such a creative and beautiful idea. 

Ta-Daaa!!! The most happening part of the temple where people bring fruits, food and/or wine/tea and kneel down to pray. Some of them were just praying and some were trying to shake out their fortune stick. The praying area is incense-free, so you have to go round the temple to do your praying before you kneel down here. 

And of course, me and my fortune stick!! Tried to ask about work and relationship (姻缘).. hoho.. get pretty interesting fortune stick for my relationship after asking a guy to "gai qim" (解签) (read out the meaning of the stick). What is it about?? Secret. ;)

Before we leave the temple, me and my friend went to tie a string at yue lao's (月老) place. They have pretty special way for you to hold the string, walk toward the statue of your opposite gender and tie your string on the big strand. 

I just spent about 2 hours in the temple, with 1 hour spent finding a right stall to "gai qim". They have 100+ stalls available for you to choose. As I have problem making a choice and also some of the names of the stall sound too god-like, I used up 1 hour just to find a stall to enter. To avoid wasting time, read blogs to get an idea which stall is good =)

To know more information about the temple, you can visit this website: http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/see-do/highlight-attractions/top-10/sik-sik-yuen-wong-tai-sin-temple.jsp

Cheers!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment