Monday, August 17, 2015

Itinerary: 24-hour trip to Malacca

Early July this year, my sis and I spent almost 24 hours in Malacca. Would like to share with you all my itinerary. Short trip but we feed our tummy really well. 

We departed from Subang around 4pm and reached Malacca around 6pm. Malacca was really jam that time when I exit the toll. Jammed for about 30 minutes and finally we reach our hotel -- Fantasy Hotel (Click here for my review on this cute hotel =D )

After cleaning up, my friends came over to fetch us out for dinner. Our night activities were just Nyonya Food as dinner and stroll at Jonker Walk. We had Nyonya Food at Restoran Nyonya Makko, which was a fantastic experience. My first try of traditional nyonya food and it is really my kind of food. Hehe... Sorry that I was too hungry that time and forgot about taking photos. XD

Night view of Malacca River. Colourful lighting =)


At Jonker Walk, you can see lots of colourful and well-decorated cycle rickshaw. You can have a ride on it, but I'm not too sure about the price.


Me and sis with the significant statue at Jonker Walk. 


Have been seeing people posting about this coconut drink. The seller managed to cut it so nicely and sell it as a whole (Flesh and juice). Yumzz. It is served with some ice and is a great drink to cool down yourself after a sweaty walk along Jonker Street. 


Before walking back to the car, saw some chinese calligraphy on the wall.
Nice one! Instead of drawings on the wall, street art can be very traditional too! =)

***************************************************************
The next morning, we went back to Jonker Walk to have the famous chicken rice ball (konon-nya). It was 9.30am in the morning and there's a long queue in front of the shop already. O-M-G. We queued for about 30 minutes and finally its our turn. We can't make any decision on the chicken rice. We were asked how many persons and they decided to sell us a whole chicken with 5 rice balls per pax. Hmm... Fast but it is a bit harsh... Customers can't make decision. If you were just there to try while having a full tummy, you might need to think twice.

The chicken is very smooth and the rice balls are really compact. I would say it is nice, but to queue for an hour at noon for this? No thanks! 

When we left, the queue gets even longer. 

After eating, we went for a malacca heritage walking tour, on our own XD. As I have a local friend to bring me around, I did not read the map beforehand. *bad tourist*

1st spot: Windmill opposite the Dutch Square.


2nd spot: Dutch Square
Christ church (the red building at the middle of this photo) was built between 1741 and 1753. It replaced a Portuguese church, which was shattered. Bricks were shipped from Zeeland in the Netherlands. Besides Christ Church, there is also the Stadhuys at Dutch Square and Tang Beng Swee Clock Tower (which was built in 1886, not by Dutch).


Beloved friends and me. We hardly meet, we hardly talk. But that doesn't affect our friendship in anyway. Still love spending time with them. 


The red stairs where tourists love to capture a photo here. =) So do I.


3rd spot: Saint Paul's Church
To reach to church, we took a path up the hill. This was originally built in 1521, by the Portuguese. It became a fortress in 1567, until 1596. After the Dutch siege it became St Paul's, before it was known as Nossa Senhora da Annunciada (Our Lady of Annunciation). It has been used as burial ground for the Dutch. You can still see the tombstones, along the walls of ruins of the church. (information from WikiTravel)






View of Porta de Santiago from the hill.


It was really hot when we reached the 4th spot -- Porta de Santiago.
This is the remains of the old Portuguese fort A Famosa. What we see nowadays is mostly Dutch reconstruction, bearing the VOC coat of arms.

Last stop before we walked back to Jonker Street to continue our food hunt -- The Maritime Museum. I've been there when I was young and not keen to enter under the hot sun. So yeah, just a photo to show that I did dropped by. =)
Maritime Museum or the Flora de Lamar is a replica of the Portuguese ship which sank in the coast of Malacca while on its way to Portugal. The main focus of the museum is the maritime history of Malacca and the golden ages of Malacca's Sultanate as the Emporium of the East. (click here to read more about this museum)

At Jonker 88, queuing for cendol and laksa. 
Last time they used to have the stalls outside and customers have to queue under the hot sun. Now it is better. Shaded. Just that finding a seat is still very hard. Believe me or not, we all stood at a tall shelves and had our food. 

Durian Cendol and Baba Cendols. =) Love the fragrance of malacca sugar. 


My kahwin laksa (baba + nyonya -- assam + curry laksa)
It is nice though quite spicy. So much better than curry laksa back in Alor Setar/Taiping. XD 

After filling up our tummy to topmost level, we went to the mamee factory to take a look.
Friend used to make their personalized cup noodles here and I want to give a try! However, now they have minimum charge -- 6 cup noodles per entry. I am not an instant noodle person. How am I gonna finish the 6 cups? Forget it. Just take a photo and went off. =) Here, you can see how mamee is actually being produced. Quite a nice place to bring kids to visit.

Friend was craving for this coffee and I ordered one for myself too. 
Very satisfying one. 

Apart from coffee, we also bought some durian puffs to be eaten on our way back to KL. I really wonder how my tummy can stuff so much food at once. Sorry for stressing you my stomach.

Last stop! Klebang Coconut Shake.
Never forget to try this while you are in Malacca. Best giler! If I was not so full, I can have 2 cups. 

Had a short chat with friends at Coconut Shake place and left Malacca at 3.30pm. 24 hours trip to Malacca and yet I ate so many things. Guilty much. I'm missing the food now, especially coconut shake. XD Next time, I should stay longer to explore more places. Hope you enjoy reading my long 1-day trip itinerary. Hehe... 

No comments:

Post a Comment