Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Cambodia: Short Getaway to Siam Reap Part 4 (Angkor Wat)

Day 2 in Siam Reap

Sunrise at Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat. It is a place where I’ve never thought I would be stepping into it. Angkor Wat is such a historical place that I’ve seen on textbooks, on magazines, on TV and on the web. I never thought that one day, before 25 years old, I have the chance to visit it on my own with a bunch of friends. The trip to Siam Reap is definitely unforgettable and sometimes, I can’t believe that I’ve really been to such a beautiful place.


We left our villa at around 5.10am and our tour driver drove us to the entrance to purchase our ticket. 
There are 3 types of temple pass: 1-day, 3-day and 7-day pass. We bought a 3-day Angkor pass as we are visiting the temples for 2 days. 

Here are some guide on the admission fee:
  • One-day pass: $20
  • Three-day pass: $40
  • Seven-day pass: $60
Passes can be purchased at the main entrance on the road to Angkor Wat. These passes will have your photo attached (taken on the spot with free of charge) to make sure the passes cannot be sold to others. Passes will be checked at entrance of each major temple (And yes, they do check one by one. So, don't try to cheat!) Visiting hours are 5:00am till 6:00pm.


This is how my Angkor Pass looks like. Blur face snapped at 5.30am. =D
They took just a while to process the pass. Don't worry about the waiting time, unless you go during peak season. 

I reached there at 5.40am, standing by the water, looking Angkor Wat. There’s a sense of calmness in my mind although I was surrounded by a lot of tourists. I sat there, looking at Angkor Wat, waiting for sunrise. Meanwhile, I took out my phone and camera to snap down the beautiful view in front of me.

Here are 2 photos of Angkor Wat at sunrise. Not a perfect sunrise but it is still breathtaking.


Here's some history about Angkor Wat. When you are in UNESCO World Heritage Site, you need to know about the history. I am really grateful that my tour guide was really awesome as he can tell great story about the temples. Being an unprepared tourist, I'm so thankful that I have my tour guide. If not, this trip to Angkor Wat would be a waste. As all these meaningful architectures will be just STONES... STONES.... and STONES...... So my advice for all my readers and friends, please do get a tour guide unless you know history very well.  

Angkor Wat (means "Capital Temple" in Khmer) is a temple complex in Cambodia and it is the largest religious monument in the world. It was originally founded as a Hindu capital for the Khmer Empire, and then gradually transformed into a Buddhist temple towards the end of the 12th Century. It was built by the Khmer King Suryavarman II in the early 12th century in Yasodharapura, the capital of the Khmer Empire, as his state temple and eventual mausoleum. Breaking from the Shaiva tradition of previous kings, Angkor Wat was instead dedicated to Vishnu. The temple is at the top of the high classical style of Khmer architecture and become a symbol of Cambodia. (information from Wikipedia)

Ok, done with simple history telling and now, it's photo time! Can't wait to share with you all the beautiful photos taken at Angkor Wat. ^_^
Sun is rising. We are heading into Angkor Wat! 


The long walkway towards the temple. 
According to the tour guide, this walkway will be very crowded during peak season. The number of tourists during my visit is consider little. 
Too excited to go in and explore! =)
I was so tourist that day! Look at my shirt. Haha...

The walkway. 
One of my friends was having headache and hence he decided to rest at the walkway while the rest of us went into the temple. Stay safe friend. We will be back for you. 


The middle temple to enter.
Most of the tourists used this way but our tour guide brought us to the one on the right. A little more special huh. =)


This is the entrance that we used to enter. 
I was really amazed by the details of the temple. W-O-W!


A lot of carvings on the wall, in great details.
Indeed, all these carvings symbolize something and there's story behind each carving. To understand all of them, I think you need to spend weeks here to explore. This temple complex is way too HUGE!



The Apsara (celestial dancers) Statue can be found all over the walls in Angkor Wat.


According to tour guide, this is the only Apsara that has a smile that shows teeth. 
Yes, I do noticed that others are as the one above, not like this. Unique. That's the reason why our tour guide brought us via this way. To show us this! Thank you! Sorry for doubting. =P


I was really amazed with these buildings. There are so old and yet still so strong. 
Tour guide told me that they did not use any cement or nail or whatsoever to hold the rocks together. They are all arranged perfectly according to their shapes to be fixed. Awesomeness level 10000+++. 


Ah! And there are quite a number of monkeys around. Please beware of your belongings as monkeys will tend to snatch it from you, especially food and plastic bags. Tour guide told me that those monkeys might have tuberculosis (TB) and it is not advisable to feed them. 


The wall of carvings. This tell the story of the war. How those soldiers fight.
So detail. 


Peek-a-boo! 
Every single corner of the temple can be a great place for photoshoot. 




The super steep staircase to go up the building. So dangerous. 
Kindly not to climb this as there is another one with handrails for tourists to go up.




Can't stop taking photo with the building. 




Here it is! The safer stairs with handrails.
It was really scary to climb up and even scarier to climb down. 
If you are dizzy or having problems with your leg, I would suggest you not to climb up. Falling off the stairs may cause death as it is very steep and surrounded by rocks.




The view from the top of the temple. 


Most of the statues are headless due to the war. 
Soldiers chopped off the statue head to sell.


A short 3- hour tour at Angkor Wat is ending! 
It is really hot to walk around under hot sun but it is definitely worthy!


Can I don't want to leave this beautiful place? =')




Last shot before I leave Angkor Wat to Bayon Temple. Bye!



No comments:

Post a Comment