Saturday, August 2, 2014

Ipoh: Thean Chun Coffee Shop 天津茶室

#throwback

Ipoh is just about 40 minutes drive from Taiping. Hence, as a Taiping girl, it is not too attractive to me as I can go there every weekend, twice a month, or at least once a month. I never explore those tourist-must-go-and-try shops in Ipoh when I was young. It is because those places are always crowded with super long waiting time, expensive and it may not turn out as good as expected.


However, when I start having road trips with my uni-mates and now colleagues, those shops are the must-visit places whenever we step into Ipoh. And now, I'm starting to act like a tourist, whenever I go Ipoh. Explore Explore Explore. 

Today, I'm going to introduce an ancient coffee shop -- Thean Chun Coffee Shop (天津茶室) located in Old Town Ipoh. I've been there twice and my first time experience was overwhelming. We waited for almost 80 minutes for our Chicken Kuey Teow Soup aka "Kai Si Hor Fun" (鸡丝河粉). My friend, who was the driver of our road trip, turned into black face after waiting and hence this coffee shop always reminded me about his angry face. *Ooppss* Well, the Chicken Kuey Teow Soup was nice but I don't think it worth waiting for more than an hour. 

Second time was with my colleague. This time, we went there for caramel custard (炖蛋) and also some other food. Due to the crowd, we decided to takeaway the caramel custard and asked for our food to be served next door. Yes, you can sit next door and those noodle stalls will send their food over. One condition is that you need to order drinks from the shop next door (Fair enough).

Spotted a stall that sells Fried Durian on our way to Thean Chun coffee shop.
RM2.40 for one and it is NOT NICE yet EXPENSIVE. I remember the one I had at the Yong Tau Fu place was much bigger, nicer and cheaper.


Colleague's Beef Noodle (RM5.00). She said it was alright, but not delicious.


My Chee Cheong Fun (RM3.20 -- if I'm not wrong). It is quite nice but sauce is too little. =S


A photo of me with my food.
From left: Caramel Custard, Chee Cheong Fun, Fried Durian, Herbal Tea

Thumbs up for this -- Caramel Custard!!
Destroyed version coz I forgotten to take photo as it was too attractive. XD
Also, takeaway container does not allow us to take nice photo of the caramel custard also. Nvm, there's always next time for THIS! Hehe...

Caramel Custard is a must-try here. You can choose not to come for the Chicken Kuey Teow Soup, but try their dessert! =D

Address: 73, Jalan Bandar Timah Ipoh Old Town, Ipoh (Search "Thean Chun" with waze)
              **located side by side with Kong Heng Coffee Shop

Opening hours: 8am-4.30pm (Closed on Thursdays)

No comments:

Post a Comment