Sunday, June 19, 2016

Perak: Manjung Trip - Where I Stay, What to See & What to Eat

Manjung, is a district in the southwestern part of the state of Perak, Malaysia. Bandar Seri Manjung is the district's principal urban center while there are smaller towns around it which includes Sitiawan, Lumut, Pantai Remis etc. As I have to attend a 3-days workshop in Hospital Seri Manjung, I have the chance to visit Manjung district, which is also famous with Pangkor Island. 

WHERE I STAY:

I booked Hotel Sfera to stay as it seems to be more decent from photos in Agoda.com. It isn't cheap though, it costs be around RM336 for 2 nights stay. This hotel is actually a shoplot hotel where you will see a lot of shops around. However, the interior of this gym is very nice and it has a link bridge to connect to opposite shoplots.

The lobby


I've got myself a twin room. Requested for a queen bed but I checked in late on the first day, hence I got these single beds for myself. A little disappointed. 


They have very beautiful swimming pool but it closed at 7pm. I don't have the chance to enjoy it. Great place to chill!

WHAT TO SEE:

1. Teluk Batik - a beach located in Lumut town. It is about 10 minutes drive from Bandar Seri Manjung. I would say that it is a great place to chill, especially over the weekend, when you need a short escape from stress. I went there for sunset but the beach was rather quiet on weekday. After walking around, I've decided to leave the beach before the sun sets due to safety issue as I was alone.



It was really relaxing to be here. Enjoying the sound of waves and sea breeze.


Selfie at the beach. I have people staring at me as I am the only awkward girl walking along the beach and keep taking photos. XD


There's a huge square with unique traditional designs.

Last selfie before leaving Teluk Batik

2) Tua Pek Gong Temple, Sitiawan (品仙祠大伯公和观音堂)
This is like a must-visit place if you were to visit Manjung/Sitiawan. It is located at Kampung Pasir Panjang, facing the sea. Using waze, you can get to this temple easily. However, the turnings that you need to go through when approaching the temple is a little funny. Trust your GPS, then you will reach the temple!
Huge tua pek gong statue! Wow!


Selfie! I really love my xiaoyi camera. Wide angle!
Here's the parking space in front of the temple. It is facing the sea and hence don't be surprise with the sea breeze. 

I went in to walk around and pray. There are a lot of things to see in here. Beautifully design. Worth coming here for a walk.
The dragon fountain. Amazing.
Selfie with the horse statue, my chinese zodiac
After an hour of walk in the temple, I went to the seaside to take a look. Selfie before leaving! Sun-kissed! XD




WHAT TO EAT:


1) Hotel Bei King (北京大酒店)
According to google result, this is a famous restaurant for Hock Chew (福州) Food. I ordered Red Wine Chicken Soup with noodles (mee suah) (红酒面线), which seems to be a must try in Sitiawan. I wanted to try Hock Chew dishes but too bad I was alone and couldn't eat so much. Next time! I'll try their dishes

Address: Jalan Menon, 32000 Sitiawan, Perak.
Opening Hours: Daily 11am-2.30pm; 6pm-10pm


Huge bowl of red wine chicken soup with noodles (RM12). I am such a big eater! I finish the whole bowl by myself! Oopss....


Happy face with my new try!

2) Lido Restaurant (丽都酒家)
This is another famous restaurant that serves Hock Chew food. They have Hock Chew Fishballs (福州鱼丸), Loh Mee (卤面), Red Wine Chicken Soup with Noodles (红酒面线), and a lot more dishes (which suits family dine-in). As I tried Red Wine Chicken Soup with Noodles the night before, hence I ordered Loh Mee to try. My friend asked me to try Loh Mee in Sitiawan but those stalls are open in the morning. As an alternative, I try it in Lido Restaurant.

This place isn't hard to find and Waze can navigate me to the exact place. How to live without Waze. Haha...  

Address: 52, Taman Sitiawan Maju, Sitiawan.
Opening hours: 11am-3pm, 5pm-10.30pm


Loh Mee for 1 pax (RM6).
This is a good one. There's baby oyster inside and it is such a big bowl! I can't finish it. I love the thick slimy noodles XD And... it's cheap!

3) James Cendol (I tried and I wouldn't recommend this)
I've read a few blogs recommending James Cendol, which is located in front of a temple. They said it is good! So, I went to look for it for consecutive 2 days but it was closed. Finally, I get to try it. I ordered one bowl with pulut (glutinous rice) and red beans, that costs me RM2.80! WHAT???? I used to have this combination and it only cost me around RM1.60 in Taiping famous cendol stall. You gotta be kidding. And... this doesn't tastes so awesome as people said. *super disappointed*

The stall.
The cendol. I really feel that this is just so-so. 

4) Restoran Yee Si (依西酒家) (not really worth the wait)
This is famous with multi-layer peanut buns (枕头包), which starts selling at 3pm. Upon reaching, I saw a lot of people walking towards the restaurant. Feels a little competitive. XD It is a little hard to find parking here and I have to take 2 rounds to get a parking at the back of the shop. 


Waited 20 minutes for the bun. Uncle is busy preparing.

The bun is served! So many people queuing for this. Uncle cut this long piece into multiple pieces and one little piece costs RM1.20.
The lane beside the shop, with huge steamers at roadside. Can't go wrong, this must be the place that sells buns. 
Food portrait for the bun. It looks good but taste so-so only. Doesn't really worth waiting. 

5) Cheong Cia Gong Pian (曾家光饼) - local biscuits (can buy as souvenirs)
If you are in Sitiawan, I would recommend you to try their famous local biscuits (Gong Pian). This shop has Gong Pian (光饼) that comes in 2 flavours - original and onion. Original one has another name, but I can't recall. It is thicker and taste like sweetened hard bun. Whereas the onion flavour one is crispy, slightly salty and more oily than the original one. I personally love the original one as it is more filling and less guilty after consuming. 

Address: Taman Teratai, Sitiawan 
Opening Hours: Daily 11am-5pm




Crispy onion Gong Pian (葱油味,光饼)


Original Gong Pian

I realized that Manjung district has a lot of hidden gems, which is worth exploring. Especially Sitiawan town, it seems small but there are a lot of shops with good food. For those who never come by, you may consider to spend a weekend or a day trip here. 

#travelwithxinrou
#cuticutimalaysia 
#exploreperak 

1 comment: